As a business owner, it’s your job to keep your business, customers and employees safe. And although most think winter is the most unsafe time for your place of work (which can often be the case!), the summer brings with it different and diverse challenges. For that reason, you need to make sure you keep your work building safe and secure in the heart of summer. Whether your London business is big or small, you need to make sure you’re being responsible.
To keep your peace of mind, and to keep things ticking over nicely, here are some tips on how you and your premises can stay safe:
- Maintenance is key. Often, business owners forget that their CCTV systems, burglar alarms and security lighting need to be maintained… but they do! Summer is the time to do it, so make sure you get all of your security solutions checked while the weather is better and the days are longer.
- Intruder sensors on lighting and CCTV may need to be adapted. You may have intruder sensors that work when intruders come along. Most of these are based upon a light-up system, in which they light up the darkness when a prowler comes. These aren’t much use when the days are long, so you may want to look at other options for the summer months.
- Fire safety: fires are common in the summer, so make sure your staff all know about fire procedures… and make sure that all fire-protective equipment is checked and usable.
- Move expensive equipment away from windows. Because you’re closing for the evening when it’s still light, intruders still have the benefit of light to peek through your windows and see what’s on offer. For this reason, keep valuable things well away from windows and doors.
- Don’t leave doors and windows too far open: this can of course be a temptation in the summer, but don’t succumb to it! Intruders will use any and all access points to gain access.
- Train your staff to be vigilant. This is especially helpful at this time of year since your staff will likely be working when it’s light… so they’ll definitely be able to see potential intruders.
All of these tips will keep you safe, but you’re best off speaking to experts for bespoke advice. For more help and advice, get in touch. We know what works and we know how to keep you safe. We’re one of London’s best experts in business safety and security… and we even offer free security audits to check where you’re most vulnerable. So you’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain. Give us a ring on 020 8850 8356!