If you own a residential block, you know how much work goes into maintenance.
With lots of tenants on holidays over the summer months, your residential block will be quieter. Why not take the opportunity to get things shipshape and ready for the year to come?
It’s important to keep your block maintained, for several reasons:
- Health and safety. It’s essential to look after the welfare and health of your tenants.
- Insurance purposes. If your place isn’t up to scratch, any claim you make may be invalid.
- You’ll keep costs down by avoiding any disasters, and a well-maintained block has better resale value.
- Legal requirements. Maintaining your block regularly gives you the peace of mind to know you’re meeting the legal requirements.
- Tenants’ happiness. If your tenants are happy and satisfied, they’re more likely to stick around for longer.
Here are some of the things you need to maintain this summer:
- Door and window frames, to keep bad weather (to come!) and burglars out. Weak door and window frames can be a hazard, and burglars consistently target vulnerable frames to access properties.
- Safety issues, including trip and fire hazards. It’s also essential to maintain your fire doors. Fire doors are even more important as winter approaches, as residents often use free-standing heaters, which can be a fire hazard.
- Your access control systems and CCTV systems. When was the last time you checked they are working properly?
- Outdoor areas. Sunshine and rain (the Great British Summer!) can make shrubs and bushes around your property get out of hand quickly. Overgrown shrubs and bushes not only look shabby, they are often used by burglars to scope out a property they target.
- Damaged fixtures and fittings. Lots of odd jobs accumulate which can be health and safety issues as well as annoying for the tenants and could reduce the value of your block.
- Check your insulation, windows and heating systems so you’re prepared for winter.
- Cleaning of communal areas. If your tenants have spent time outdoors this summer, your carpets, walkways, hallways, and stairs might be covered with dirt and debris, which will need cleaning and tidying.
- You also need to make sure that you’re on top of block regulation laws. If you’re not, you might end up in trouble! Block maintenance laws get ever more complicated every year, so it’s essential you keep up-to-date with requirements.
If you want tips on what you need to look out for, or help with maintaining your block, get in touch with us. We’re experts on residential block regulation laws, and we help London residential block managers with their maintenance needs every single day.
We’ll keep you and your residents safe, happy and healthy. For residential block repairs and maintenance in London, you won’t find better than us. Get in touch!