Winter is on the way, which means colder days, darker nights and short, sporadic bursts of sunshine (if we’re lucky!) But it also brings with it more bad news, as winter inevitably leads to greater security risks.
Every year, bold and brazen burglars make use of the longer nights to exploit unfortunate business owners.
Plenty of research has shown burglaries increase in winter. This means you and your business (especially in London) are more vulnerable to the security threats posed by invasive intruders.
In order to keep your business safe, it’s important to stay on top of security and make sure you don’t leave easy access points for anyone hoping to make a quick buck.
Here’s how to keep your business safe:
- Install security lighting: if security lights illuminate your property the minute anyone steps on it, intruders won’t hang around for long. Deterrents are the best form of prevention.
- Check door and window frames: burglars use vulnerable points to gain access… and there’s nothing more vulnerable than a dodgy window or door frame.
- Make sure all staff are vigilant: don’t just make security your business; make it the business of every single employee on site. If there are dozens of eyes on the lookout, you’re much less vulnerable.
- Don’t store expensive and important equipment near windows: burglars only need one pricey incentive to break in. Don’t give it to them.
- Check your insurance: Find out where you stand if you get burgled. If the worst happens, you need to know your insurance will cover it. Make sure before it’s too late.
- Check your CCTV is working: just because you’ve installed CCTV doesn’t mean it does what you want it to. Too many London businesses assume their CCTV is working and forget to check it. Don’t fall into the same trap.
- Install grates and grilles: gates and grilles are a great way to keep burglars at bay. Heavy physical deterrents are a massive put-off for potential criminals.
- Do a perimeter check: make sure your building is well-lit, there are no holes in your fences, and no big objects (including hedges) that can be used for cover.
It’s also important to remember that all businesses have different needs. If you want some bespoke advice for your business, we offer free security audits and can recommend and install security measures based on what we find.
We’re London’s office and business security experts, and we’ll make sure you stay safe.